I am honored to have been recruited by local Democratic leaders to run for the new N.C. General Assembly seat for State House District 54, representing all of Chatham and the Sanford area. And I’m overwhelmed and humbled by the outpouring of support I’ve received from all over.
Whether you are a Democrat, Republican or independent voter, let’s work together for a fair and democratic society through excellent schools, clean air and water, and innovative ways to strengthen local businesses and attract good jobs to our region.
I have lived and worked in Chatham County for 40 years.
- Longtime community advocate, now working to strengthen our economy by serving on the Chatham Economic Development Corp. Board and the Triangle South Workforce Development Board.
- Instrumental in obtaining the NC STEP program for Siler City, including leadership training and financial support for economic development.
- Former newspaper editor/publisher, retired civil rights attorney, representing working people, women, minorities and persons with disabilities.
- Married for 26 years to Dee Reid, a communications director at UNC-Chapel Hill. Two grown children: Sam, a poet who lives in NY, and Emily, a pre-school teacher, who lives in Chatham County with her husband Scott and our granddaughters Ryan and Emery.
- 2009 Humanitarian of the Year, Western Chatham Branch NAACP
- 2008 Tar Heel of the Week, News and Observer
- Multiple N.C. Press Association Awards as editor/co-publisher of Chatham County Herald 1973-84, for public service, investigative journalism, news and feature writing
Contact: Please tell me about your ideas for strengthening our local communities and our state. You may reach me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
To support the campaign, you may send a check to:
Jeff Starkweather for State House, PO Box 585, Pittsboro NC 27312.
Election laws require you to include your name, address, occupation and place of employment.